Wednesday, December 8, 2010

{Trying to eat less hamburger meat? Here's a good substitute}

Want to eat tacos vegetarian-style, but need a good substitute for the hamburger meat? Try Chickpeas! Yup. I really liked it b/c it added great flavor. I liked everything about it. My husband wasn't TOO fond of the idea of it, but he ate it. He said they tasted "dry". Well, i guess. But i still liked them. I am not a picky eater usually, so the "dryness" didn't bother me. This is what you do....

2 TBS. taco seasoning
2 tsp. Lime juice
1 TBS. Tamari
1 can chickpeas

Mix all the ingredients together well.

Turn your oven to 400 degrees. Lay all your chickpeas on a cake sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil. Spread them out evenly in a single layer. Then spray the top of them with olive oil. Cook in your oven for 20-25 minutes.

Of course for my family i had to double this. I originally found this for a recipe on veggie-terrain.blogspot.com....They are supposed to be crunchy blue corn tacos. Yummy! But what a great way to use these chickpeas in place of hamburger meat! I liked it.

Tamari is kind of like soy sauce, but thicker. I guess it's better than soy sauce. I couldn't find it at Wal-Mart so i just used low-sodium Soy sauce.

ALSO, instead of using white flour tortillas, use whole wheat tortillas. They are better for you and taste good.

No comments:

Post a Comment